COMMERCIAL PILOT – PHOTOGRAPHER – AUTHOR – ADVENTURER – SPEAKER – SCUBA DIVER – 99
I’ve been addicted to SLOW TRAVEL since 1993. I’ve done multi-day camel safaris in Tanzania & Morocco and earned my Dog Mushers Certificate (Yukon). I’ve trekked in Spain, Peru (Inca Trail), Guatemalan jungle (El Mirador), Chile (Torres del Paine NP), & Canada (Akshayuk Pass). I’ve summitted the tallest peaks in Africa: Kilimanjaro, world’s highest freestanding mountain (Tanzania) & Djebel Toubkal (Morocco), North Africa’s tallest mountain. To share my adventures & photographs, in 2017 I created the ARMCHAIR TRAVELER SERIES.
I’ve enjoyed careers above the earth as a commercial pilot and below the earth as a SCUBA Divemaster. I have more than 500 dives and 6,000 hours airborne. As a solo and independent traveler, I’ve photographed more than 60 countries; stayed with Berber, Masai, & Maya; lived in Mexico, Belize, & Guatemala; and slept in caves and dives, hammocks and hangars, tents and evergreen shelters. I am a member of Amelia Earhart’s 99s, a Rotarian, and graduate of University of Waterloo (Psychology, genetics, & anthropology).
AWARDS & EXHIBITIONS
- Aviation Alumni of Distinction 2020 Waterloo-Wellington Flight Centre
- Belleville Art Association 2020 (Creative Excellence)
- SPARK 2019 2nd Place
- Photographers without Borders 2nd Place
- SPARK 2018 3rd Place
- SPARK 2017 3RD Place
- Santa Fe Photography: Summer Vacation Contest 2017
- Santa Fe Photography: Travels 2015 http://www.santafeworkshops.com/contest.past/travels
- Belleville Art Association 2015 (Dona Knudsen IMPACT Award)
- Belleville Art Association 2014 (Best Use of Light)
- Belleville Art Association 2013 (Best in Show)
- Parrott Art Gallery Juried Show – Honors 2013
- RMG Exposed Juried Show & Auction McLaughlin Gallery, Oshawa 2014 -2017, 2019
- CLIC-PECAC – 2010-2016 (Honors, Best B&W) http://www.pecartscouncil.org
- Verge Travel with Purpose Magazine Annual Photo Contest 2008-2011, 2013-2014
- QAC Expressions – 1998 – 2019 http://quinteartscouncil.org
- MAGNUM Photography Workshop & Exhibit 2012
PUBLICATIONS [Articles & Photographs}:
- Skies Magazine Women in Aviation (5-part series)
- Photographers without Borders
- Santa Fe Centre for Photography
- National Geographic Society
- Smithsonian Journeys
- The Globe and Mail
- The Toronto Star
- The National Post
- Verge Magazine: Travel with Purpose
- The Doctor’s Review
- Mundo Maya Magazine (out of print/archived)
- World Wildlife Fund – Canada
- Medecins sans Frontieres/Doctors without Borders
OWN YOUR FAVOURITE PHOTOGRAPH: All my images are available as museum quality prints on matte archival paper, canvas, or aluminum. All orders are customized.
When ordering, please provide the name of the image, size required, & medium.
Note: Images are protected by copyright laws & must not be reproduced without permission.