Commercial Pilot – Photographer – Inspirational Speaker – Author – Adventurer – SCUBA Dive Master – Activist
I’ve traveled much of the world (more to come!), slept in caves, tents, and evergreen shelters and stayed in the homes of Berber, Masai, & Maya, lived in Mexico, Belize, & Guatemala, and plunged into the Caribbean as a dive master. In 1994 I started a longitudinal ethnographic study of the Maya peoples, a decision that led guiding at archaeological sites, an aviary, and the undersea world. I began personally narrating weekly photo-travelogues (The Barrier Reef, The Ancient and Modern Maya, and world adventure travels).
During my career in commercial aviation I piloted single- and multi-engine land and floatplanes acquiring nearly 6,000 hours of flight time. At Flight Safety International /DeHavilland I developed, supervised, and taught aviation Ground School & Flight Simulator Programs.
In 1993, I became addicted to Slow Travel. I’ve done multi-day camel safaris in Tanzania and Morocco, earned my Dog Mushers Certificate (4-day excursion, Yukon). I’ve trekked the Inca Trail (4 days/42km), Navarre-Rioja region of Spain (10-days/165km), Guatemalan jungle to the ancient Maya site of El Mirador (6-days/128km), hiked in Patagonia’s Torres del Paine National Park, and summitted Kilimanjaro, tallest (5895 metres) freestanding mountain in the world (Machame Route, 7 days/75km) and Jbel Toubkal (4176 metres) the tallest mountain in North Africa.
My volunteer work includes photographic documentation of medical missions (Kenya, Honduras), classroom teaching (Guatemala, Kenya) and being a companion to seniors (Guatemala). I studied psychology, genetics, & anthropology (University of Waterloo).
I am a Rotarian.
CONTESTS & EXHIBITIONS
- SPARK 2019 2nd Place
- Photographers without Borders 2nd Place
- SPARK 2018 3rd Place
- SPARK 2017 3RD Place
- Santa Fe Photography: Summer Vacation Contest 2017
- Santa Fe Photography: Travels 2015 http://www.santafeworkshops.com/contest.past/travels
- Belleville Art Association 2015 (Dona Knudsen IMPACT Award)
- Belleville Art Association 2014 (Best Use of Light)
- Belleville Art Association 2013 (Best in Show)
- Parrott Art Gallery Juried Show – Honors 2013
- RMG Exposed Juried Show & Auction McLaughlin Gallery, Oshawa 2014 -2017, 2019
- CLIC-PECAC – 2010-2016 (Honors, Best B&W) http://www.pecartscouncil.org
- Verge Travel with Purpose Magazine Annual Photo Contest 2008-2011, 2013-2014
- QAC Expressions – 1998 – 2019 http://quinteartscouncil.org
- MAGNUM Photography Workshop & Exhibit 2012
PUBLICATIONS [Articles & Photographs}:
- Santa Fe Photography https://santafeworkshops.com/contests
- National Geographic Society www.nationalgeographic.com
- Smithsonian Journeys www.smithsonianjourneys.org
- The Globe and Mail
- The Toronto Star
- The National Post
- Verge Magazine: Travel with Purpose www.vergemagazine.com
- The Doctor’s Review www.doctorsreview.com/volunteer/
- M.E.D.I.C.O. www.medico.org
- Mundo Maya Magazine (out of print/archived)
- World Wildlife Fund – Canada www.wwf.ca
- Medecins sans Frontieres/Doctors without Borders www.msf.ca
OWN your favourite photograph: All Lola’s images are available as museum quality giclee images printed on matte archival paper, canvas, or aluminum. All orders are customized.
When ordering, please provide the name of the image, the size required, paper or canvas.
Note: The images in this website are protected by copyright laws and must not be reproduced without permission.