Commercial Pilot – SCUBA Dive Master – Adventurer – Photographer – Mayanist – Activist – Author
I’ve traveled much of the world (more to come!), slept in caves, tents, and evergreen shelters and stayed in the homes of Berber, Masai, & Maya, lived in Mexico, Belize, & Guatemala, and plunged into the Caribbean as a dive master. In 1994 I started a longitudinal ethnographic study of the Maya peoples, a decision that led guiding at archaeological sites, an aviary, and the undersea world. I began personally narrating weekly photo-travelogues (The Barrier Reef, The Ancient and Modern Maya, and world adventure travels).
During my career in commercial aviation I piloted single- and multi-engine land and floatplanes acquiring nearly 6,000 hours of flight time. At Flight Safety International /DeHavilland I developed, supervised, and taught aviation Ground School & Flight Simulator Programs.
In 1993, I became addicted to Slow Travel. I’ve done multi-day camel safaris in Tanzania and Morocco, earned my Dog Mushers Certificate (4-day excursion, Yukon). I’ve trekked the Inca Trail (4 days/42km), Navarre-Rioja region of Spain (10-days/165km), Guatemalan jungle to the ancient Maya site of El Mirador (6-days/128km), hiked in Patagonia’s Torres del Paine National Park, and summitted Kilimanjaro, tallest (5895 metres) freestanding mountain in the world (Machame Route, 7 days/75km) and Jbel Toubkal (4176 metres) the tallest mountain in North Africa.
My volunteer work includes photographic documentation of medical missions (Kenya, Honduras), classroom teaching (Guatemala, Kenya) and being a companion to seniors (Guatemala). I studied psychology, genetics, & anthropology (University of Waterloo).
I am a Rotarian.
CONTESTS & EXHIBITIONS
- SPARK 2019 2nd Place
- Photographers without Borders 2nd Place
- SPARK 2018 3rd Place
- SPARK 2017 3RD Place
- Santa Fe Photography: Summer Vacation Contest 2017
- Santa Fe Photography: Travels Contest 2015 http://www.santafeworkshops.com/contest.past/travels
- Belleville Art Association 2015 (Dona Knudsen IMPACT Award)
- Belleville Art Association 2014 (Best Use of Light)
- Belleville Art Association 2013 (Best in Show)
- Parrott Art Gallery Juried Show – Honors 2013
- RMG Exposed Juried Show & Auction McLaughlin Gallery, Oshawa 2014 -2017
- CLIC-PECAC – 2010-2016 (Honors, Best B&W) http://www.pecartscouncil.org
- Verge Travel with Purpose Magazine Annual Photo Contest 2008-2011, 2013-2014
- QAC Expressions – 1998 – 2019 http://quinteartscouncil.org
- MAGNUM Photography Workshop & Exhibit 2012
PUBLICATIONS [Articles & Photographs}:
- Santa Fe Photography https://santafeworkshops.com/contests
- National Geographic Society www.nationalgeographic.com
- Smithsonian Journeys www.smithsonianjourneys.org
- The Globe and Mail
- The Toronto Star
- The National Post
- Verge Magazine: Travel with Purpose www.vergemagazine.com
- The Doctor’s Review www.doctorsreview.com/volunteer/
- M.E.D.I.C.O. www.medico.org
- Mundo Maya Magazine (out of print/archived)
- Go Abroad Fair www.studyandgoabroad.com
- World Wildlife Fund – Canada www.wwf.ca
- Medecins sans Frontieres/Doctors without Borders www.msf.ca